Pupil premium is additional funding received in the school budget from the Government. It is allocated according to the number of children in school from the following three categories:
Children who are eligible for free school meals (FSM)
Looked after children (LAC)
Armed forces children
The pupil premium is a sum of money in the school’s budget. It is allocated according to the number of children who are looked after or eligible for free school meals. It is intended to support schools to provide additional support to specific groups of children who may be underachieving. It is up to the school to decide how this is spent. It will be used by this school to address any underlying inequalities between children eligible by ensuring that funding reaches the pupils who need it the most.
Sports Premium Funding
Schools receive PE and sport premium funding based on the number of pupils in years 1 to 6.
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of physical education (PE), physical activity and sport on offer.
Funding may be used to:
- develop or add to the PE, physical activity and sport activities that the school already offers
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
Schools can use the premium to secure improvements in the following indicators:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- the profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport
For more information about the Sports Premium Funding please visit: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pe-and-sport-premium-for-primary-schools